Here are some of my favorites…
- 1536 – First known instance of the @ symbol used in a letter by a Florentine merchant. Who knew?
- 1963 – The first computer mouse is invented by Douglas Engelbart. I also didn’t realize the mouse was that old.
- 1972 – Email is invented.
- 1978 – The first spam email is sent. That didn’t take long. Bummer.
- 1989 – Peapod launches the first online grocery store. I’m shocked that Peapod is this old.
- 1997 – Google is born. I thought Google was older than that.
- 2003 – MySpace, WordPress and LinkedIn launch. Hell of a year!
- 2004 – Gmail launches. Facebook is released. Again, though these were older.
- Also 2004 – Mozilla releases Firefox web browser. So begins the end of the Internet Explorer’s rein of
- 2005 – YouTube launches. Is it really that young?
- 2006 – Jack Dorsey creates Twitter. That means Twitter is 7 years old. Wow.
If there’s one takeaway for me, it’s that internet time moves differently than real world time. I’m amazed at how recently many of the services I know and love were created.
- More articles on...